When temperatures outside plummet, does your pain level intensify with achy joints?
Pain tends to worsen on cold days due to various factors:
- Blood Flow: Cold temperatures can cause blood vessels to constrict, reducing blood flow to joints. This can lead to increased stiffness and discomfort for individuals with arthritis.
- Synovial Fluid Changes: Joints are surrounded by synovial fluid that helps lubricate and reduce friction. Cold weather may cause this fluid to thicken, making joint movement more challenging and painful.
- Muscle Contraction: Cold weather can cause muscles to contract, putting additional stress on joints. This increased tension can exacerbate arthritis symptoms.
- Barometric Pressure: Some people with arthritis are sensitive to changes in barometric pressure, which often occur with weather changes. Cold days, often associated with high pressure, might contribute to increased joint pain.
- Inactivity: Cold weather can prevent regular physical activity, leading to increased stiffness and discomfort.
The good news is acupuncture can help alleviate pain aggravated by cold weather by regulating blood circulation to promote joint warmth and reduced stiffness. Additionally, acupuncture is clinically proven to influence the body’s release of anti-inflammatory substances, offering relief to those grappling with the intensified pain that chilly temperatures can bring. Many of our patients have achieved improvement in joint mobility and a reduction in pain levels after undergoing acupuncture treatments, making it a holistic and non-invasive approach to managing winter-related joint issues. Treatments at Indigo Healing Acupuncture also include infrared heat and moxibustion to warm up the body quickly!
Give us a call to thaw out and return to the winter activities you love without stiffness and pain!